This stew is comforting, filling and very satisfying. You can make it with red bliss or Yukon Gold potatoes, but using purple potatoes creates a beautiful color scheme with yellow squash.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb purple potatoes, quartered
- 1 1/2 lbs butternut squash cubes
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 can (15 oz) organic black beans, strained and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 apple, chopped
In a large pan heat the olive oil and cook the potatoes, squash, garlic and onion, for about 10 to 12 minutes, stirring often until starting to brown.
Add in the apple, bay leaf, nutmeg, beans and broth.
Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
Stir in the salt and pepper and serve. If you serve the stew at a later time you might need to add more broth as the potatoes will soak up the liquid over time.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in Eat Clean! Whole30 Elimination Plan.