Chef Rocco DiSpirito's meatball recipe is one for the books. Instead of typical meatball gravy that's loaded with butter and flour, this gravy is made out of mushrooms and spinach. Mushrooms are particularly good for you, as they only have 19 calories per cup and are good sources of vitamin D. This dish is under 200 calories, but will be sure to leave you feeling full and satisfied!
- 12 oz 96% lean ground beef
- 1 cup finely chopped puffed brown rice (such as arrowhead mills)
- 4 cups unsalted beef stock
- ground pepper
- olive oil cooking spray
- 4 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions
- 8 cups washed spinach
- 2 tbsp arrowroot, dissolved in 2 tsp. of the stock
- 1 oz parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
1. Place beef in a mixing bowl, and push to one side of it. Add rice and 1 1/2 cups of stock in the other side.
2. Add salt and pepper, and let rice absorb stock for about 1 minute.
3. With electric mixer, mix for about 1 minute until both sides are homogenous.
4. Form into meatballs.
5. Coat skillet with olive oil cooking spray on medium heat. Add meatball to hot skillet and brown on both sides.
6. Transfer meatballs into holding plate.
7. Spray skillet again with oil. Add the mushrooms and onion, and cook for 3-4 minutes, until brown. Add spinach, and cook until wilted.
8. Add remaining stock and arrowroot, and bring to a simmer. Whisk until thickened.
9. Add meatmalls and simmer until cooked through, 6-8 minutes.
Tried this recipe? Log in to DoctorOz.com to rate it and find more recipes just for you.
Tried this recipe? Share your rating below!