Create Rocco's vegan chili recipe at home!
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups green and/or red bell pepper
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 can (28 oz) of diced tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can (15 oz) organic black beans
- 1 can (15 oz) organic kidney beans
- 1 can (15 oz) whole kernel corn
- 1 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- shredded soy cheese (optional)
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute 1-1/2 cups of onions, celery and carrots until soft. Stir in peppers, garlic, chili powder and cumin. Cook about 6 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, and corn. Season with oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in lime juice and cilantro just before serving. Top with 1/2 cup of chopped onions and soy cheese, if using.