Transform your turkey with a quick and easy dry brine from chef James Briscione of Institute of Culinary Education. It's flavored with aromatic herbs like sage and fennel and it's a simple way to prepare a delicious turkey for Thanksgiving or a special dinner any day of the week.
- 5 lb turkey (if more, multiply ingredient quantities accordingly)
- 1 tbsp dry sage
- 2 tsp fennel
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup salt
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F.
2. Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl.
2. Measure 1 tablespoon of the seasoning mix per 5 lbs of turkey. Rub the measured brine all over the exterior of the turkey. Add any remaining to the inside of the bird, rubbing it on the under side of the breast.
3. Let the turkey sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, pat the turkey dry with paper towels. Brush the surface with olive oil.
4. Roast turkey in the oven at 375˚F until the thigh registers 160˚F. If the turkey is browning too quickly, reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and tent the pan with aluminum foil. Upon resting, the temperature should raise to a minimum of 165˚F.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in 99 Thanksgiving Hacks: The Results of Our Frozen Turkey Investigation—How to Cook a Fully Frozen Bird Without Defrosting.
Tried this recipe? Log in to DoctorOz.com to rate it and find more recipes just for you.
Tried this recipe? Share your rating below!