Makes 6 servings
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes or 1 1/2 cup diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Few dashes of garlic powder
- Few dashes of onion powder
- Himalayan salt (to taste)
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth
- Avocado, cilantro and/or diced onion, for garnish
In large pot or dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, cook until soft and they start to turn brown (about 7 to 10 minutes).
Add garlic, cook for another minute or so. Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, cover slightly ajar, reduce heat and cook for 30 to 40 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Chili is ready when sweet potatoes are tender. Add additional water if chili is too thick for your liking. Serve with optional garnishes.
As with all recipes, adjust seasoning to taste. Also, use whatever beans you prefer. You may even like to use one kind of bean instead of two.