Makes 6 servings
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup cabernet
- 1 cup faux chicken stock or vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp arrowroot
- 2 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp natural peanut butter substitute
- salt and pepper
- 12 (3 pkgs) seitan or Gardein chick'n scallopini (frozen)
- 1 tbsp minced fresh sage
- 1 cup toasted pumpkin seeds (without shells)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- unbleached white flour
- 2 cups unsweetened soy milk
- olive oil for sauteing
For the cranberry cabernet sauce, heat the oil in a sauté pan. Add the shallots and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the thyme and cranberries and sauté for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the cabernet and scrape the bottom of the pan, then reduce the liquid by half. Add the stock and reduce by half. Mix the arrowroot with the water and add to the pan. Stir well and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Turn heat off and whisk in the vegan butter 1 tbsp at a time.
Remove thyme stems.
For the cutlets, in a food processor, process the sage, seeds, paprika, bread crumbs, yeast, salt, and pepper until well incorporated. Thaw the frozen meat substitute. Dredge each cutlet in flour, then dip into the soy milk and then into the breadcrumbs. Sauté on each side until browned and crisp.