At the end of the day your metabolism slows down, so having a light dinner is the best way to keep off weight. Make these zucchini boats for any dinner, and not having carbs will feel like a treat.
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 8 oz lean ground turkey (93%)
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan-Reggiano cheese
1. In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and sauté until soft and translucent.
2. Add carrots and cook until just tender, about 5 minutes. Add turkey, chili flakes, fennel seeds, rosemary, and bay leaf, salt and pepper, and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes. Add basil and stir to combine. Remove from heat and let stand until just warm.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly coat a 9-x-13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
5. Trim stems from zucchini and cut in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out the center of the zucchini to make a boat and discard.
6. Place zucchini in a baking dish, fill each zucchini with the turkey Bolognese sauce, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Pour any remaining sauce in the bottom of the baking dish around the zucchini boats.
7. Bake until the zucchini is fork tender, 20 to 30 minutes. If the cheese is browning too quickly, lightly cover the baking dish with aluminum foil until done.
Tried this recipe? Log in to DoctorOz.com to rate it and find more recipes just for you.
Tried this recipe? Share your rating below!