This Thug Kitchen recipe for white bean and cabbage soup is overflowing with flavor. If you're a soup person, you'll want to add this to your weeknight dinner rotation. If you're not a soup person, get ready to become one. This soup might be your new fall favorite.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 leek, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into thin strips
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 1 tbsp minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 head green or napa cabbage, shredded (about 3 cups)
- 3 cups cooked Great Northern or white beans
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and black pepper
- crusty bread, for serving
1. Heat up oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
2. Add onion and leek to the pot. Saute until onion starts to brown, about 5 minutes.
3. Add carrots and celery. Saute until carrots start to soften, about 3 minutes.
4. Add parsley, rosemary, thyme, and garlic. Cook for 1 minute.
5. Add crushed tomatoes and broth.
6. Let simmer.
7. Fold in cabbage. Let cook until cabbage is tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
8. Fold in beans and lemon juice. Cook long enough for the beans to warm up, about 1 minute.
9. Taste. Add salt and pepper and any other spices you prefer.
10. Serve right away with crusty bread. Let the warmth sink in!
Tried this recipe? Log in to DoctorOz.com to rate it and find more recipes just for you.
Tried this recipe? Share your rating below!