Smoky and savory yet sweet and buttery, this recipe has it all. Creamy and candied sweet potatoes perfectly balance out the chewy and peppery taste of the beef. This dish is a great way to experience the best of both worlds, with the extra benefits of protein, fiber, vitamins A, C and B6 .
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef, bison, or lamb
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 medium serrano chili, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) Whole30-compliant fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup beef bone broth or Whole30-compliant beef broth
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus more as needed
- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Sliced green onions (optional)
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
2. Add the ground beef, onions, serrano chile, and garlic and cook, stirring frequently and breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until the meat is browned, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the tomatoes with their juices, broth, sweet potato, bell pepper, chili powder, chipotle, and salt and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potato is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
4. If desired, season with additional salt. Serve the chili topped with cilantro and green onions, if desired.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in Whole30: The Beginner’s Guide to Cooking Clean.
Tried this recipe? Log in to DoctorOz.com to rate it and find more recipes just for you.
Tried this recipe? Share your rating below!