By getting creative with less expensive meats and sides of grains and veggies, you can craft a whole meal for your family within even the tightest budget. Chef Michelle Bernstein from Iron Chef America has come up with a lean, family style chicken and quinoa dinner – all for under $10!
- 2 skinless, boneless, chicken breasts, cut in half and pounded flat to 1/2-1/4-in thickness
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz yogurt
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Pinch of cumin
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 tsp jalapeño, chopped very, very fine
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup kale, remove center “rib”, sliced very, very thin (chiffonade)
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped mint
- 1/4 cup scallions, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup 1/4-in diced fresh tomatoes
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
Makes 4 servings.
Combine all ingredients for the marinade—yogurt, honey, ginger, cumin, lime, jalapeño, salt—together, set aside 1/2 cup and pour the rest of the marinade into a 1 gallon self sealing plastic bag. Place the chicken breasts in the bag for 4 hours to overnight.
Remove the chicken from the marinade and gently remove any excess marinade on the chicken breast. Heat a large grill pan on medium heat. Add the oil. When hot, season the chicken breasts and place them in the hot pan, cook until golden brown on both sides, about 4-5 minutes, or until cooked through.
Serve with a little reserved yogurt sauce and quinoa "tabuoli."
Cook the quinoa according to package instructions. Chill the quinoa.
Combine all ingredients, season to taste.
Copyright 2012 Michelle Bernstein.