Week #1: Artery Maintenance
With simple additions to your diet and exercise routine, you can keep your arteries clean.
- Add 2 tablespoons of flax seed oil to your breakfast. Flaxseed oil keeps red blood cells from clumping and forming the clots that block arteries.
- Take 2 baby aspirin every night before bed. Make sure to drink a large glass of water. Baby aspirin will help prevent inflammation, which increases your risk for heart disease. Aspirin keeps blood platelets from clumping and clotting.
- Do 10 minutes of stretching in the morning. Research shows that adults who stretch have 30% less stiffness in their arteries – a key factor in preventing a heart attack. Click here to see some sample stretches.
Week #2: Challenge Your Heart
Getting your heart rate up for a few minutes a day can improve your overall fitness and heart function. Exercise helps to strip away the irritating materials that contribute to artery ruptures.
- Climb stairs for 7 minutes a day.
- Take a brisk 20-minute walk. Studies show walking briskly for 20 minutes a day may lower your risk for a heart attack by 30%.