If you experience acetone-scented breath or any other warning signs linked to diabetes, schedule an appointment with your physician. You’ll likely be asked to fast for at least 8 hours beforehand so the doctor can check your blood sugar level via a simple blood test. Bear in mind, a healthy fasting blood sugar level is between 70 and 100mg/dl; a reading over 200mg/dl may signal diabetes.
While type 1 diabetes is managed with insulin injection therapy, type 2 diabetes treatment often includes lifestyle changes such as new diet and exercise regimens.
- Maintain a healthy weight. A healthy female Body Mass Index (BMI) should be less than 35. Use this tool to measure your body mass index.
- Eat a healthy diet that includes fiber from whole grains, lean protein, and plenty fruits and vegetables. Avoid processed foods loaded with sugar and trans fats.
- Exercise regularly. Get at least 20 minutes of cardio three times a week by brisk walking, biking, or using an elliptical trainer.
Sudden Warning Sign #2
Growth of Coarse Chin or Nose Hair = Possible Symptoms of Ovarian Cancer
Ovarian cancer – the fifth most common cancer in women – is known as a silent killer, which is why it’s imperative for every woman to be aware of all its warning signs.
Located on either side of the uterus, the ovaries’ primary function is to produce eggs and pump out female hormones such as estrogen and progesterone that regulate the menstrual cycle. An ovarian tumor or cancer of the ovary can cause overproduction of male hormones (androgens). Too much production of the male hormone testosterone, for instance, can cause excessive facial hair, also known as hirsutism, which can manifest as coarse growth on the chin or in the nose.
Additional warning signs of ovarian cancer include:
- Noticeable bloating and weight gain around the abdomen, or increased abdominal size
- Pelvic or abdominal pain
- A change in bowel movements
- Difficultly eating or feeling full quickly
- Frequent or urgent need to urinate
- Back pain