Most people don’t get the right ratio of protein in their meals, loading up instead on carbs (around 60%) and fat (30%), spiking blood sugar. Dividing your plate into an equal ratio of protein, carbs, and fat will help keep your blood sugar at the right level. Here’s a sample menu of what that might look like over the course of the day:
- Breakfast: Egg whites, turkey bacon and oatmeal
- Lunch: Turkey burger with avocado on a whole wheat bun
- Dinner: A small portion of steak with sweet potato and butter
And it gets better: As your blood sugar stabilizes by sticking to the 3s rule, you release previously stored fat. And the leaner you get, the more you’ll be able to eat – that’s the power of having lean muscle! Just remember, you can always eat as many veggies as you’d like, as they’re packed with vitamins and nutrients your body needs and are low in calories.
Step 2: Prepare a Mobile Readiness Food Kit
That’s just a fancy way of saying always carry a snack kit. That way, you’re prepared to eat every 3 hours – no matter where you are. You’ll want a “grab and go” kit with three 250-300 calorie snack meals to eat between breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Here’s a sample kit to get you started:
- Snack 1: Turkey jerky for protein, a handful of nuts for good fat, and an apple for carbs.
- Snack 2: Greek yogurt for protein, a handful of sunflower seeds for good fat, and a handful of dried cranberries for carbs.
- Snack 3: A natural protein bar with equal parts protein, fat and carbs. Avoid protein bars that are packed with sugar, dairy and artificial ingredients, and instead seek out bars made with real fruits and grains.
Step 3: Drink 3 Liters of Cinnamon Extract Water
Adding cinnamon extract (available in health food stores) to water is a fantastic secret for balancing blood sugar and losing weight. Recent studies show consuming as little as a half teaspoon of cinnamon a day can reduce blood sugar levels by up to 29%, while also lowering triglyceride and cholesterol levels to reduce your risk of heart attack and stroke. When it comes to lowering blood sugar, cinnamon extract works even better than whole cinnamon. Just add 2 droppers of cinnamon extract to a liter of water, being sure to drink 3 liters a day to help with digestion and constipation.
Step 4: Eat 3 Ounces of Protein Before Every Cheat
We all “cheat” on our healthy diet now and then with carbs – but there’s a right way and a wrong way to do so. Before indulging in alcohol, fries, cake, or a chocolate bar, eat 3 ounces of protein first. You might go with 3 ounces of turkey breast, 3 ounces of cottage cheese, or 3 ounces of Greek yogurt. No matter what form you consume it in, protein is your friend when indulging in heavy carbs, as it helps slow digestion. Remember, don’t cheat more than two or three times a week, with only one cheat per day, so your blood sugar stays balanced.