Low-calorie doesn't have to mean tasteless, so try these cooking tips from chef Donatella:
- Purchase a can of olive oil spray. But just spray for a second!
- Buying fresh herbs and spices prevents boredom and adds flavor without fat or calories. Basil, tarragon, rosemary, thyme and chili peppers add flavor and aroma to foods without any calories or fat! Herbs and spices make a big difference in making you enjoy low-calorie food and help to prevent boredom in your eating.
- Treat cauliflower like a potato. A half-cup of potatoes is 67 calories, while a half-cup of cauliflower is only 14 calories. It is a wonderful replacement.
- Use low-fat Greek yogurt as a substitute for butter in most recipes.
- Low-fat, low-sodium chicken broth is your friend. Add light herbs and spices. If you like spicy foods, use chili powder and peppers to add heat and help speed up your metabolism. This soup is filling and comforting and can be used as a go-to when hunger strikes. Make extra and keep it in your refrigerator.
- Buy high-quality sea salt and use freshly ground pepper. They make a world of difference in terms of flavor.
- Roast non-starchy vegetables. This cooking method doesn’t require added fat. Just add salt and pepper for delicious, flavorful vegetables! Go out of your comfort zone and roast vegetables like endive, radicchio and fennel.
- Find your inner chef. Use your sense of taste and make changes to dishes as long as you don’t add fat!