Adding Up the Minutes
It takes only a few extra minutes to turn a routine chore into a calorie-burning exercise. And those minutes add up toward the RealAge minimum exercise recommendation for optimal health -- at least 30 minutes on most days of the week.
Top 10 household chores for burning calories*
1. Moving furniture 225 calories
2. Scrubbing floors 189 calories
3. Raking leaves 171 calories
4. Gardening 162 calories
5. Mowing the lawn 162 calories
6. Washing the car 153 calories
7. Cleaning windows 153 calories
8. Vacuuming 84 calories
9. Washing dishes 76 calories
10. Doing laundry 72 calories
*Estimations based on a 150-pound person and 30 minutes of activity
Always supplement your exercise routine with longer bouts of cardiovascular exercise, such as walking, whenever possible. But on days when time is scarce and the to-do list is long, remember that it's important to make exercise a priority. Doing your chores with a little extra energy and vigor is a great way to multitask.
Get More from RealAge: