At-home Thyroid Test
To find out if your thyroid needs a restart, take this easy at-home test that requires an oral thermometer.
- Take your temperature under your tongue as soon as you get up and right before you get out of bed in the morning.
- Record the results for 1 week.
- If your average temperature is below normal (98.7 degrees), it may signal a sluggish thyroid.
If you suspect a sluggish thyroid, you should also consider bringing it to the attention of your doctor, who can also check your thyroid with a simple blood test.
Additionally, by restarting your thyroid with the proper nutrients, not only can you keep weight off, but you can also help slow down the aging process, regain energy, and improve your overall appearance.
To restart your thyroid, turn to Dr. Oz’s Thyroid Power Combo of iodized salt and selenium-rich foods. Iodine is vital for healthy thyroid hormone production, and the essential mineral selenium may help decrease inflammation that can cause an underactive thyroid.
Today, many people use kosher salt or sea salt, but these salts do not contain iodine. To help maintain healthy thyroid function, reach for traditional iodized table salt when seasoning food.
Eat selenium rich foods such as:
- Brazil nuts
- Sunflower seeds
- Fish (halibut, sardines, flounder, salmon)
- Shellfish (oysters, mussels, shrimp, clams, scallops)
- Meat (Beef, liver, lamb, pork)
- Poultry (chicken, turkey)
- Mushrooms (button, crimini, shiitake)
- Whole grains (wheat germ, barley, brown rice, oats)