Raisins and grapes seem like fun toys to a dog. But they can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and kidney failure. The minimum safe amount is not known, so keep these foods well out of reach of curious muzzles.
Sugarless gums and candies are certainly sweet, but the sugar substitute xylitol can cause a rapid drop in your dog's blood sugar.
Moldy or spoiled food and garbage should stay safely in the trash. They can contain multiple toxins causing vomiting, diarrhea, and damage to internal organs.
Yeast dough, like the kind used in making bread or desserts, is designed to expand. If swallowed by an unsuspecting canine, it can expand and produce gas in the digestive system, causing pain and possibly rupture of the stomach or intestines.
Medications such as Ibuprofen, Tylenol, and Naproxen may give you some relief, but painkillers and other common medications can be deadly to your dog. Keep all prescription and over-the-counter drugs - including painkillers, ant-inflammatory drugs, cold medicines, diet pills, antidepressants, anti-cancer drugs, and vitamins - in closed cabinets out of your pets' reach. Never give your dog medication unless directed by a vet.
Plants are pretty but possibly deadly for your dog. Many common yard and houseplants can be poisonous, including lily, daffodil, oleander, rhododendron, azalea, yew, foxglove, rhubarb leaves, and cycads.