For most women, it happens like clockwork every month: PMS. Suddenly your emotions – and pants size – seem beyond your control. But there’s a way to combat the symptoms. Dr. Oz reveals how nutrition and natural remedies can help keep your PMS in check so you can get on with your life.
Symptom: Mood Swings. Fluctuating progesterone levels cause your hormones and your mood to yo-yo.
Attack Plan: Take 100 mg of vitamin B6 a day.
- Studies show that B6 reduces irritability and depression.
- Unsalted nuts are a good natural source of vitamin B6. Try cashews, hazelnuts and peanuts.
- For the best results, take this supplement as part of your daily routine.
- Don’t double up on the dosage; doing so can have an adverse affect.
Symptom: Enlarged or Tender Breasts. Fluctuating estrogen and progesterone levels result in fluid retention, especially in the breasts. Click here to learn more about breast health.
Attack Plan: Try chasteberry extract.
- Studies show that chasteberry, the fruit of a small bush that grows in Southeast Asian and the Mediterranean, can help relieve this PMS symptom.
- Add a teaspoon to your daily water intake.
- Check with your physician before taking chasteberry. It can have possible adverse affects if you are taking birth control pills or psychiatric medication.