It's one of the most frightening medical attacks and it strikes 1 in 10 people during their lifetime. Would you know what to do if a seizure affected someone you know? Dr. Oz explains what causes seizures and takes you through the Do's and Don'ts of seizure first aid.
- Stay calm.
- Check the time - seizures become extremely dangerous when they last longer than 5 minutes. You'll need to tell this information to the doctor.
- Keep them safe by limiting their exposure to items like sharp objects, stairs or furniture they could hurt themselves on.
- Turn their head to the side in order to keep their airway clean.
- Restrain them.
- Offer food or drink until they are alert.
- Put anything in their mouth.
- Put your fingers in their mouth.