- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 rib celery, preferably with leaves, chopped
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes, cut up
- 3 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch of Tuscan kale
- 1 can (10 oz) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 alrge slices peasant bread, cut into chunks
- freshly shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Saute the onion, carrot, celery and a pinch of salt in the in a large dutch oven or soup pot, over low heat, covered, stirring occasionally, until soft – about 7 minutes.
Add tomatoes (with juice), broth and thyme and bring to a boil.
Reduce to a simmer and cook, partially covered, until the vegetables begin to become tender – about 15 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper.
Add the kale and simmer, covered, until kale is soft – about 15 minutes.
Add the beans and bread and simmer on low until the bread starts to soften – about 5 minutes.
Serve bowls of soup with drizzles of oil and cheese.