It’s so easy to get carried away during the winter months with all of the parties, drinking and festive food. These temptations often lead to consequences, like killer hangovers and an expanding waistline. If you’re looking for an easy way to navigate through the end of the year successfully, try this easy 3-step plan. You’ll eat, drink and be merry all the way to a healthier new year.
1. Eat a small snack 15 minutes before you go to a holiday dinner or party. Arriving at an event on an empty stomach will make it all the more difficult to avoid the temptation of overindulging. Eating a serving of fruit, nuts or a bit of light popcorn is enough to settle your stomach before you go – and prevent you from eating the unhealthy foods you might go for if you were famished.
2. Drink spicy mixed drinks or dark beer. If you’re more into spirits, clear alcohols, like vodka, don’t pack the same hangover punch as darker liquors. To make them a bit merrier, jazz them up with citrus or spicy flavors – but only natural ones). Avoid artificial syrups or flavors that have added sugars; Infused vodkas are a good choice. When it comes to beer, darker is usually better. Dark beers have more antioxidants and fewer calories than lighter-colored beers. Whatever you do, make sure to alternate alcoholic drinks with water; for every cocktail you drink, hydrate with a glass of water. This will help prevent a hangover.
3. Be Merry! One great way to boost your happiness this holiday season is to listen to music. Upbeat tunes can motivate you to plow through mundane tasks, and slower, more relaxing music can help reduce stress. Make sure to use some music to get yourself moving this season. Check out the playlist Dr. Oz and Elvis Duran, host of Z100’s Elvis Duran and the Morning Show, made below.
Dr. Oz and Elvis Duran’s Playlist to Get You Going*:
- LMFAO, “Sexy and I Know It”
- LMFAO, “Party Rock Anthem”
- Rihanna, “We Found Love”
- Lady Gaga, “Born This Way”
- Flo Rida, “Good Feeling”
- Dev, “Dancing in the Dark”
- Alexandra Stan, “Mr. Saxobeat”
- One Republic, “Good Life”
- The Rock Heroes, “All Summer Long”
- Jason Derülo, “Don't Wanna Go Home”
- Afrojack, “Take Over Control”
*Please note these songs are not available for download on DoctorOz.com.