Alternative health expert Dr. Andrew Weil’s food pyramid will help you eat the optimum amount of fruits, vegetables and even pasta to prevent inflammation and reduce your risk of chronic diseases. But the best part is that you don’t have to cut out things like red wine and chocolate. Both can be good for you in moderation. Learn more about Dr. Weil's anti-inflammatory foods.
Reduce inflammation with these anti-inflammatory suggestions, starting from the bottom of the pyramid and moving up:
- All fruits and vegetables: Try to get all the colors!
- Whole and cracked grains: Oats, brown rice, whole rye, whole-wheat breads and pastas
- All beans and legumes
- Healthy fats: Extra-virgin olive oil, walnuts, avocados, hemp seeds, flaxseed
- Fish and seafood: Salmon, black cod, sardines
- Whole soy foods: Edamame, soy nuts, soy milk, tofu, tempeh
- Omega-3 enriched eggs
- Skinless poultry and lean meats
- Spices: Ginger, turmeric, garlic, cinnamon, holy basil, rosemary
- Teas: White, green, oolong
- Red wine (but no more than 1 to 2 glasses a day!)