Learn to assess your level of risk for breast cancer with these 3 categories.
Get armed with the facts about breast cancer, beginning with those that allow you to assess your own level of risk. There are 3 categories of risk factors linked to breast cancer. Make note of these categories and which apply to you in order to make the best possible choices for your breast health.
Risk Factors You Cannot Change
- Gender: Being a woman is the main risk factor
- Age: Risk increases as you get older
- Genes: The most common cause of hereditary breast cancer is an inherited mutation in the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes
- Family History: Mother or sister with breast cancer
Lifestyle Risk Factors
- Hormone replacement therapy
- 2-5 alcoholic drinks a day
- Being overweight or obese
- Lack of exercise
Factors With Uncertain Effect on Breast Cancer Risk
- High-fat diet
- Cigarette smoking
- Working the night shift