Dr. Oz examines the healing potential of ayurveda – an ancient practice that promotes harmony among the mind, body and spirit.
Curry: Fights Alzheimer’s
- Curry powder is a blend of different spices.
- Typically includes turmeric, coriander and cumin.
- Indians eat 100-200 mg curry/day.
- Many of the spices in curry powder, like turmeric, are linked to lower rates of cancer, heart disease and Alzheimer’s.
- Click here for a recipe to make your own curry powder mix.
- Cook with curry or sprinkle liberally to taste.
- Reduces inflammation, detoxifies the skin, and increases circulation.
- Soothes, calms and hydrates skin.
- To make a beauty treatment face mask: Mix powder with water to make a paste. Then apply the paste, leave on overnight for best effect.
Holy Basil: Fights Stress
- Studies have shown holy basil reduces emotional stress and physical damage from stress, including atherosclerosis, which leads to heart disease.
- Available in plant form at farmer’s markets or in supplement form at the health store.
- Eat a medium sized leaf every day to counteract stress.
Abhyanga Massage: Boost Immunity
- Similar to a Swedish massage.
- The treatment is oil-based.
- Use warm yellow sesame oil, available at grocery stores.
- Start with your face and head.
- Practice for 5 minutes daily.
Find out if your spouse’s habits are annoying or dangerous.
Bad Habit #1: Clipping Toe Nails in Bed
- Toenails can have 3 different types of fungus and countless forms of bacteria, but it’s not damaging unless it gets into your body through a cut, or your mouth.
Bad Habit #2: Drinking Milk Straight From the Carton
Verdict: Health Hazard
- The temperature inside refrigerators isn’t cold enough to kill germs.
- The germs from your body can be left behind in the container and transferred to someone else.
Bad Habit #3: Leaving Dirty Clothes on the Floor
- With dirty underwear, there is the possibility of fecal contamination.
- It’s only a health hazard if these items are left on a surface people eat on. If it’s just on the floor, it’s not dangerous.
Bad Habit #4: Screaming at the TV
Verdict: Health Hazard
- Research shows that unwanted background noise above 60 decibels causes stress.
- Stress can prompt chemical messengers to constrict blood flow through coronary arteries.
- It may increase blood pressure and risk for heart attack.
These pretty petals can be the secret to glowing, healthy skin.
Lavender: Dry Skin
- Hydrates and improves dry and scaly skin
- Look for it in moisturizing creams for your eyes, face and body.
- Kills bacteria and reduces swelling.
- Look for facial soaps, masks and toners containing echinacea.
Feverfew: Eczema or Psoriasis
- When purified, it contains powerful anti-inflammatory compounds that calm and soothe skin.
- Look for it in moisturizers and cleansers.
Rose: Reverse Sun Damage
- Rose hips are used to make an antioxidant-rich oil.
- Prevents and treat sun damage.
- Look for rose hips or Rosa canina in facial serums and creams.
Would you know how to handle an obstructed airway? Dr. Oz tells you the lifesaving information you need to know.
Choking Solution: Heimlich Maneuver
1: Make a fist with one hand.
2. Reach around the victim.
3. Grab fist with opposite hand just above the navel.
4. Do 5 abdominal thrusts
For bacterial bronchitis, you need antibiotics.
For viral bronchitis:
- Use an expectorant to dislodge phlegm.
- Humidifiers and heat may help, too.
- Research shows South African geranium may decrease mucous and has anti-viral properties. You can find it in health food stores.