Chipotle Location in Ohio Shuttered Following Outbreak

More than 100 people reportedly fell ill after eating at one of the burrito chain’s restaurants.

More than 100 people have reported symptoms of food poisoning and diarrhea after eating at a Chipotle restaurant in Powell, Ohio, according to news reports.

Chipotle temporarily closed the Powell store. “We acted quickly and closed this single restaurant out of an abundance of caution yesterday,” the company’s chief communications officer, Laurie Schalow, told Reuters. “We are working with the local health department and we plan to reopen this restaurant today.”


No similar problems have been reported at other restaurant locations. The Delaware General Health District in Ohio is reportedly investigating the restaurant after receiving more than 100 calls about the issue.

The current problem in Ohio caused Chipotle's stock to fall by more than 8 percent. An E. coli outbreak that affected 22 people in 2015 caused the chain to close 43 restaurants in the Pacific Northwest. 

Related: 

7 Warning Signs You Might Have an E. Coli Infection

7 Common Symptoms of a Listeria Infection

How to Make Your Own Burrito Bowl 

Join Maria Menounos as She Cares for Parents With Cancer, Diabetes & COVID in Powerful Video Diary

It hasn't been easy, but she's dedicated her life to helping them — and loving them.

@mariamenounos

Maria Menounos has been caring for her parents for years. Her dad has type 1 diabetes, with his blood sugar levels often dropping dangerously low. And her mom was diagnoses with Stage 4 brain cancer, or glioblastoma, in 2016. As if that wasn't enough, she never thought she would also see them hospitalized with COVID-19. It hasn't been easy, but she's dedicated her life to helping them — and loving them. Go inside her emotional journey in a powerful and moving video diary. She's sharing it all to help others find the strength they need in their own journies.


Keep Reading Show less