Chris Powell Explains the Couples Plan to Lose Weight (2:58)
Step 1: The 9-Minute Mission
Six days a week, start the day with a 9-Minute Mission. These are muscle-shaping exercises, also known as resistance training, that heat up your metabolism by increasing the size of your energy-hungry muscles, the number-one calorie users in your body. The 9-Minute Mission is built around movements such as running, jumping, pushing, pulling, crunching and squatting. Make a commitment to do 20 minutes of cardio in addition to the 9-Minute Mission. Do this any point in your day that you find free time. Make sure you enjoy whatever cardio you choose. Examples include playing soccer, dancing, kickboxing, tennis, swimming, running, jumping, hiking–the options are endless! Be a kid again and enjoy some time with your partner.
Step 2: Follow a Weekly High-Carb, Low-Carb Schedule
This carb-cycling plan works fast for both men and women. It also rolls with the ebb and flow of everyday life as a couple, minimizing the damage you can do to your diet when together.
Low-Carb Days: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday Friday
On these days you will not eat a lot of carbs. The only time you should be eating carbs is at breakfast to jump-start your metabolism. In the rest of your meals you will replace carbs with fats. You'll have five meals a day and they will be made up of protein, veggies and fat.
Low-Carb Meal Plan
- Breakfast: Classic Ham Omelet with Ezekiel bread
- Lunch: Buffalo-Garlic Turkey Burger topped with cheese and carrot sticks
- Dinner: Citrus Steak
- Snacks: Cheese and turkey roll-ups and nut butter and cottage cheese
High-Carb Days: Wednesday and Saturday
On these days, you'll still eat five meals, but the meals are made up of protein, carbs and veggies.
High-Carb Meal Plan
- Breakfast: Breakfast Burrito
- Lunch: Buffalo-Garlic Turkey Burger with a baked potato
- Dinner: Apple Cider Chicken with a side of quinoa
- Snacks: Greek yogurt and high-fiber granola and an apple with nut butter