Find out how to achieve a younger look with these tips from a stylist, hair stylist, colorist and makeup artist.
A few changes to your hairstyle, makeup routine and wardrobe can impact how old you look. Follow these tricks from beauty industry experts to defy your age instantly.
Stylist Gabriela Langone says the key to looking younger is starting with a good foundation. She recommends using shapewear to create a slim, smooth base under clothes and to ensure a proper fit.
Her favorite trend is monochromatic ombre because it creates a streamline effect to make the eyes look vertical. Pair this look with a pair of booties with a chunky heel or small wedge boots and accessorize with a bright chunky necklace for a pop of color.
Hairstylist Nunzio Saviano recommends changing up your hairstyle instead of going under the knife. Bangs and layers around the face highlight cheekbones and cover any wrinkles on the forehead. Plus, the movement layers create make for a more youthful look.
Colorist Stephanie Brown says warmer hair adds brightness to the skin. Lighter highlights draw attention away from and softens wrinkles while adding dimension. Darker hair attends to draw attention to fine lines.
Jo Levy, director of artistry at Rouge Bunny Rouge, uses makeup techniques to make skin look younger.
For a glowing complexion:
- Apply primer to your entire face. Start in the center and blend outward.
- Mix foundation with highlighting illuminator and then blend from the center of the face outward toward the cheeks, forehead and chin.
- Apply concealer to the under-eye area, focusing the most coverage on the inner corners of the eyes. If necessary, place concealer on any additional sunspots or discoloration on your skin.
- Set your makeup with a finishing powder.
- Next, contour your complexion. Use a fluffy brush to blend bronzer underneath the cheekbones and out toward the hairline, sweeping across the jawline, temples and finishing with a dusting across the forehead, close to the hairline.
- Apply blush to the apples of the cheeks and outward toward the bronzer.
For youthful eyes:
- Apply cream eye shadow as a base over the eyelids from the lash line, up toward the brow bone.
- Next, blend long-lasting eye shadow onto the outer edge of the eyelid, blending slightly inward.
- Then, apply eye pencil into the lash line from inner corner to outer edge.
- Finish by applying two coats of mascara to the tops of the eyelashes and one coat to the bottom lashes.
For luscious lips:
- Apply one coat of lipstick to the top and bottom of the lips.
- Finish by lining the lips with a long-lasting lip pencil.