Full name: Greg Katz, MD
Hometown: Fair Haven, NJ
Specialty: Internal Medicine
Place of Practice: NYU Langone Medical Center, New York, NY
Why did you want to become a doctor?
I used to be a personal trainer and loved the interpersonal aspect of the job, educating people about their bodies and helping them to live healthier lives. Being a doctor gives me the opportunity to develop relationships and connect with my patients in an even deeper way. Our lives are important for the way that we impact other lives.
What sets you apart from other doctors in your field?
My communication skills and my experience working in the TV industry.
What are your 5 tips for living longer?
1. Don't eat or drink anything that's advertised on TV.
2. Go to the beach with your friends and family. Social isolation is as a bad for you as smoking almost a pack a day or becoming an alcoholic. Spending time outside with your loved ones ensures that all of you get your necessary vitamin D.
3. Put away your cellphone when you're driving.
4. Make sleep a priority. People who sacrifice sleep are fatter, sicker, and die sooner than those who get good rest. Banish electronics from your bedroom, get blackout curtains, and only use your bed for sex and sleep.
5. Floss your teeth and get your mammograms, colonoscopies, and Pap.