Meet Dr. Horowitz! Want to see more of America's most eligible doctors? Browse our gallery.
Name: Jeffrey Horowitz, MD
Hometown: Manalapan, NJ
Specialty: Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery
Place of Practice: Baltimore and Bel Air, MD
Why did you want to become a doctor?
Medicine is a tradition in my family. My father, sister, many aunts, uncles, and cousins are physicians. My uncle and cousin are plastic surgeons also! My father was my inspiration. He was a solo practitioner OB/GYN. I remember him getting up in the middle of the night to deliver babies many times. He missed many family vacations. His dedication to his patients was an inspiration. I always thought of medicine as a very noble profession and wanted to continue our family tradition.
I was always attracted to the visual arts. My aunt was a professional artist. After many years of art lessons, I enrolled in the Cornell Univ. summer arts program. Art was my second major in college and I studied art at the Lacoste School in Provence, France. I found plastic surgery as a way to marry my interests in surgery and the visual arts. I was attracted to this field because, unlike other surgical disciplines, there could be many different solutions for a given problem. I was able to use the skills I learned through studying art, including my creativity, ability to think abstractly and hand-eye coordination to help me in my chosen specialty.
What sets you apart from other doctors in your field?
My ability to listen to patients sets me apart from other surgeons. I always remember the goal of every surgery is to make my patient happy. Therefore, it's critical to have an clear understanding of the patient's desires for any given undertaking, rather than pursuing a course that would satisfy me and not necessarily the patient. I also pride myself on how clearly I communicate with my patients.
What are your 5 tips for living longer?
- Decrease your stress level by not letting circumstances dictate your emotions. Remember, between a stimulus and a response is a choice.
- Remember you don't need to prove everybody wrong; just knowing you're right is enough.
- Studies show that happy people live longer. We all know cosmetic surgery makes people happy. So, get cosmetic surgery, get happy and live longer!
- When daily cleansing, exfoliation, moisturizer and sunscreen aren't enough, see a Plastic Surgeon!
- And finally, life is too short to let something you don't like about your appearance eat away at you. Get it corrected and enjoy life!