Meet Dr. Nguyen! Want to see more of America's most eligible doctors? Browse our gallery.
Full Name: Matthew Thai-Khang Nguyen
Hometown: Orange, California
Specialty: Emergency Medicine
Place of Practice: New York, NY
Why did you want to become a doctor?
It's a long, not-so-thrilling story, but I always felt that I was pretty good at science. In addition to that, I wanted a job that was inherently a public service and would put me in a good position to support a family. It was just a good match, plain and simple. There you have it: the least dramatic answer to that question, ever.
What sets you apart from other doctors in your field?
Well, I happen to think that I'm the funniest one of them all. Perhaps I'm a younger version of Ken Jeong?
What are your 5 tips for living longer?
- Find something creative to pour yourself into. We often live such staid, regimented lives that we forget to do something expressive. Whether it's music, cooking or dance, find a creative outlet and make it your craft. Even if you don't think that you're the creative type, you'll find that you'll be better for it.
- For all this talk about enjoying the moment (which we should do), remember that you can play the long game, too. Invest yourself in others and, when you finally need it, you'll be able to take care of each other.
- Cultivate your happiness. Understand that your happiness is choice, rather than a circumstance.
- Laugh a lot, mostly at yourself.
- Consider not taking tips on living longer from a 29-year-old resident physician.