Full Name: Rob Berberian, MD
Hometown: Los Angeles, CA
Specialty: Integrative Medicine
Place of Practice: Santa Monica, CA
Why did you want to become a doctor?
At a very young age, I knew that my calling in life was in medicine. My dad was a pharmacist and had great compassion for his patients and genuinely helped them with all his heart. He told me that science and life is not about memorizing details, but rather about trying to understand how everything in our world is connected. Every aspect of our being is connected not only to ourselves but to the world around us. Every decision we make has an impact. If I can make my patients smile and have a sense of encouragement and hope while going through an illness, that one smile provides me the greatest sense of fulfillment in my life.
What sets you apart from other doctors in your field?
My parents always told me, "Do what you really love to do in life so you can be the best at what you do." I have never wanted to settle for mediocrity. Being a good doctor, you have to know a lot of information. Being a great doctor, you have to know that your patients hold most of the answers – you just have to listen.
What are your 5 tips for living longer?
- Give and don’t think about wanting to receive. The universe has an amazing way of returning all that love we give a million times fold.
- Awaken your soul. Our bodies have an innate capability for healing. Sometimes we just need a little guidance and direction and we have control over what we do with our health, our body, our mind and our spirit.
- Go vegan for a day! At least once a week, eat a plant based diet. This will help reduce inflammation and increase phytochemicals and antioxidants to help fight stress.
- Nourish your soul with soothing music.
- Give lots of hugs every day!