It’s been a tough few weeks for cosmetic surgery. The news has been filled with one disaster after another. In Massachusetts, a 49-year-old woman died while she was being numbed up for one of those “quickie” facelifts. She suffered a seizure, most likely because of the toxic effect of the anesthetic. There is a question as to whether she was medically fit for the procedure. And in Florida, a woman at a spa died during a liposuction procedure. Apparently she also overdosed on the anesthetic used. Her surgeon had taken a weekend course in liposuction and was not a plastic surgeon. And in New Jersey, 6 women let someone – not a doctor – inject silicone caulk purchased at a hardware store into their buttocks! They all got infections and are lucky to be alive.
Is plastic surgery becoming more dangerous? No, it’s always been dangerous. That’s why you need to choose a board certified plastic surgeon to perform your surgery. Not someone who does quick procedures without an anesthesiologist, not the guy who trained for 18 hours in liposuction instead of the 6 years it takes to become a plastic surgeon, and not someone who buys medical supplies at Home Depot!