Find out how much is too much when it comes to vitamins.
Vitamins are an essential part of our diet. We get them mostly through fruits and vegetables and they help with a wide variety of essential body functions. Unfortunately, some vitamins can be toxic at very high doses. While this is rarely a problem with food, supplements can sometimes push you into the red zone. Find out where to draw the line on the vitamins you take.
While vitamin D has many benefits, it can be toxic when taken at doses of 50,000 IU or higher on a daily basis. The toxic dose may be lower for children. Infants under six months old can hit a toxic dose at 1,000 IU daily. Too much vitamin D boosts your body’s calcium to toxic levels, leading to a host of problems. Most adults only need 600 IU per day.