6 Ways Your Home Could Be Making You Sick

Find out the things in your home that could be affecting your family’s health.

6 Ways Your Home Could Be Making You Sick

By Toni Gasparis

Many places in the home can have toxins without you knowing. Become an educated consumer and homeowner by understanding when your home may be putting you and your family’s health at risk.


Watch: Is Your Home’s Flooring a Health Hazard?

Ceiling

Asbestos was a common substance that was incorporated into the manufacturing of ceiling tiles up until 1975. If your house was built during that time period, you may have asbestos in your ceiling. You can usually tell when asbestos has grown because spores start to form on top of the tiles. Do not touch or poke the spores or try to eliminate them yourself — this will cause asbestos particles to be released into the air and absorbed into your lungs. If asbestos gets into your respiratory system it will irritate and scar your lungs and potentially form mesothelioma, a cancer in the lung lining.

Watch: Your Home’s Toxic Zones — Asbestos

Drowning: How to Respond

It's critical to get the person breathing again as soon as possible.

Drowning can happen quickly. Three children die every day from drowning, and most fatal incidents happen from lack of appropriate supervision. Every minute that passes is critical in saving them or preventing serious injury. Here's what to do if you see someone drowning and you need to help rescue them.

Call 911

You should alert emergency responders as soon as possible. If there are other people around, instruct someone to make the call. If you are alone, help the drowning person until you can give CPR for one minute and then call 911 yourself (then continue life-saving measures).

Keep Reading Show less