Dr. Laura Berman, a relationship therapist, opens up about the tragic loss of her 16-year-old son after an overdose of drugs laced with deadly fentanyl. She says he was targeted by a drug dealer on Snapchat. She's sounding the alarm about the warning signs and dangers of social media she wants parents to know about.
In response, Snapchat said in a statement, "Our deepest sympathies are with the family and friends of Samuel Berman Chapman and we are heartbroken by his passing. We are committed to working together with law enforcement in this case and in all instances where Snapchat is used for illegal purposes. We have zero tolerance for using Snapchat to buy or sell illegal drugs. Using Snapchat for illegal purposes is firmly against our community guidelines and we enforce against these violations. We are constantly improving our technological capabilities to detect drug-related activity so that we can intervene proactively. If you witness illegal behavior on Snapchat, please use our in-app tools to report it quickly and confidentially, so we can take action. We have no higher priority than keeping Snapchat a safe environment and we will continue to invest in protecting our community."
"We are actively assisting the Santa Monica police department with their investigation, to help them track down the perpetrator," a Snapchat spokesperson added regarding the Berman case.