Dr. Andrew Weil’s Pasta Puttanesca with Tuna
Holistic health pioneer Dr. Andrew Weil designed this dinner to be a mini-Mediterranean diet in a bowl. In addition to being heart healthy, the ingredients in this dish are full of cancer-fighting antioxidants.
- 2 can (28 oz) Italian tomatoes, drained and crushed
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1/2 cup black olives, pitted and chopped
- 3 mashed garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp fresh basil leaves, minced
- 1 lb dried pasta
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 package/can of healthy pouch/canned tuna
In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, olive oil, red pepper flakes, capers, olives, garlic and basil. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Add the tuna to the mix. Cook the pasta in rapidly boiling water until al dente. Drain well. Toss the hot pasta with the tomato mixture. Add the grated Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.