Daphne Oz's German Chocolate Cake
Dr. Oz shares the guilty pleasure he can't do without: a decadent birthday cake from his daughter Daphne.
Even Dr. Oz eats cake! Every year on his birthday this delicious cake, made by his daughter Daphne, is Dr. Oz's #1 request. This moist and decadent cake is not only tasty, but easy to make too.
- 1 box Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Devil's Food cake mix
- 1 box instant chocolate pudding
- 1 cup (extra) of water
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
- 2 14 oz cans condensed milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp iodized salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 14 oz sweetened shredded coconut
- 8 oz pecans, chopped
For the cake:
1. Whisk both mixes and combine with eggs, oil/butter and water as directed on cake packaging, plus 1 extra cup of water. Beat with hand mixer until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes.2. Pour into 2 oiled cake pans and bake as directed. These cakes will always be extra moist because of the pudding addition and will keep cooking in the hot pan after removed from the oven, so remove from the oven when a toothpick at the center comes out only slightly moist and with little bits of chocolate cake stuck to it. Allow to cool in pan before removing to cooling rack or plate.For the icing:
1. Combine all ingredients except coconut and pecans over a double boiler, whisking constantly to keep eggs from cooking. Cook until thickened, 15 to 20 minutes.2. Stir in coconut and pecans. Allow to cool and set 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spread on cooled cakes while icing is still slightly warm to allow it to melt onto cake and drip down the sides. Leave it in the fridge to set until ready to serve...or devour immediately.