Hulled Barley Vegetable Soup
Warm up with this hearty soup recipe.
Made from everyday ingredients, this soup is loaded with immunity boosters. Make sure to add this hearty soup to your recipe collection.
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 rosemary twig
- 1 clove garlic, finely sliced
- 3/4 cup hulled barley
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 oz)
- 1 can beans, drained and rinsed (15 oz)
- 2 cups kale, roughly chopped (optional)
- grated Parmesan
1. In a pot, sauté onions, carrots, and celery with extra virgin olive oil on medium-high heat for 10 minutes. Add the rosemary, garlic, and barley and continue cooking for about three more minutes.
2. Stir in the broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover the pot, reduce heat, and simmer on low for about one hour.
3. Add in the tomatoes and beans and cook another 15 minutes or longer, until the barley is soft. If using kale, stir it in the last five minutes of cooking. Serve topped with grated Parmesan.