Grilled Tofu With Eggplant and Parmesan
Harness the smoky taste of eggplant and grilled tofu in this delicious recipe. These bold ingredients complement each other nicely and will add a perfect twist of flavor to your next dinner.
- 14 oz 2 packages extra-firm tofu (do not use silken tofu)
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- 6 tbsp chopped basil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 cups tomato sauce (low-sodium jarred or homemade
- 2 oz grated Parmesan
- 3/4 tsp arrowroot
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt (omit if using a canned broth)
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
1. Press the blocks of tofu between paper towels for at least 30 minutes to remove the excess water. Slice each block of tofu lengthwise into three pieces and then slice each block in half.
2. Sprinkle eggplant slices with the salt and allow to sit for 30 minutes. Rinse eggplant well and reserve eight slices. Cut the remaining slices into 1/2-inch cubes.
3. To prepare the marinade, dissolve the arrowroot in 1 tablespoon of the chicken broth and set aside. Bring the remaining chicken broth to a boil and stir in the dissolved arrowroot. Allow to boil until it thickens slightly. Stir in the remaining marinade ingredients, 1 tsp of the Italian seasoning, and 1 tbsp of the chopped basil.
4. Add the tofu and eggplant slices to the marinade and set aside, refrigerated. Leave for at least 30 minutes.
5. Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the green pepper, onion, and garlic and sauté until they start to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the eggplant cubes and cook until soft, an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and the remaining 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning, and allow to simmer while you grill the tofu and eggplant slices.
6. Heat a nonstick or cast-iron grill pan over high heat. Remove the tofu and eggplant slices from the marinade. Place the tofu and eggplant in the pan and grill until grill marks form and both sides are lightly browned.
7. Alternately layer 3 slices of grilled tofu and 2 slices of eggplant with a little Parmesan and chopped basil between each layer. Top with the eggplant-tomato sauce and garnish with remaining Parmesan and basil.Chef’s notes: The secret to grilling tofu is to first press it until most of its moisture comes out. I layer it between paper towels while pressing it and change the towels as they get wet.The smokiness from grilling eggplant and tofu adds a nice twist to the flavors of eggplant Parmesan.Nutrition information, per serving: Calories: 426Protein: 28gCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 11gTotal Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 5gSodium: 373mgThis recipe is from Jennifer Stack’s book, The Diabetes-Friendly Kitchen (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012) , available for purchase at bookstores nationwide or at http://www.ciaprochef.com/fbi/books/DiabetesFriendlyKitchen.html.