Only 20% of breast cancer patients have a family history of the disease. A statistic like this means that, for many women, a diagnosis of breast cancer can strike without warning. But that does not mean you are powerless. Routine mammograms, a healthy immune system fueled by some smart diet choices, and a little vitamin D can help you prevent breast cancer.
Dr. Oz's Ultimate Guide to Preventing Breast Cancer
Get a Routine Mammogram
Don't skip your mammogram. It plays a critical role in early detection - which means finding breast cancer at a curable stage. In fact, stages 0 and 1 have 98% cure rates. Studies show that, on average, mammograms decrease the death rates on breast cancer by about 30%. To read more about mammograms, click here.
Boost Your Immunity
Researchers have isolated 2 key areas for breast cancer prevention - estrogen regulation and immunity boosting. Many types of breast cancer are fueled by estrogen, but there are ways you can reduce the fuel that makes cancer cells multiply, divide and spread. Strengthening your immune system is one of the best defenses against cancer and other diseases.
Here are 3 scientifically proven ways to regulate estrogen and boost your immunity:
Dr. Oz says it over and over again: the foods you eat have incredible power to heal - or harm - your body. Below are the top superfoods that have been shown to protect you from breast cancer. Incorporate them as much as you can into your daily diet.
- Green tea 3 cups of green tea a day can prevent breast cancer by as much as 50% because of its high EGCG antioxidant content. Squeeze a little lemon into your cup and increase the antioxidant power 10 times.
- Garlic A good immunity booster that also has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Olive oil This monounsaturated fat can help suppress tumor activity.
- Tumeric This spice known for its beautiful orange color also helps decrease estrogen. As little as 1 teaspoon a day has been shown to reduce tumor growth. Get your daily dose by mixing it into salad dressings, rice or vegetable dishes.
- Cruciferous vegetables Leafy greens like kale, bok choy and Swiss chard bind estrogen in your GI tract and reduce tumor stimulation. They also detoxify the liver, so you don't have toxins flowing through your body that can irritate cells and turn them into early cancers.
- Seaweed High in iodine, this is another estrogen reducer.
Click here for a list of anti-cancer superfoods and recipe ideas.
A daily supplement of vitamin D (1200 IUs) can prevent tumor metastasis, reduce cancer cells and help with estrogen inhibitors. Be sure to get dietary sources of calcium, too, such as sardines, salmon and some dairy like milk and cheese. And don't forget to soak up 15-20 minutes of sunshine everyday. All of these combined can decrease your breast cancer risk by 50%.
Aspirin or Ibuprofen
Recent studies show that the inflammatory process plays a role in causing malignancies in several different organs, including the breast. By taking 2 aspirin or ibuprofen a week, you'll reduce your chance of breast cancer between 21% and 28%. The anti-inflammatory properties in these drugs are also excellent for heart health.