Skillet Chicken With Fennel and Walnuts
Enhance your diet with this savory recipe.| By Haylie Pomroy
Fennel has long been known to aid digestion and help soothe the stomach. Learn how to balance your hormones and for more information about The Burn Plan click here.
**Note: This is an approved recipe for the What to Eat When plan.
- 8 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, sliced ½ inch thick
- 1 small onion, sliced ½ inch thick
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 tbsp crushed walnuts
1. Place the chicken in a zip-top bag (or between two sheets of plastic wrap) on a cutting board.
2. Pound to a fairly even ⅓-inch thickness and season generously on both sides with salt and pepper.
3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
4. Place 1/2 tablespoon of the extra-virgin olive oil and the chicken in the skillet and cook the chicken until cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.
5. Remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside to rest.
6. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil to the hot skillet.
7. Then add the fennel, onion, and oregano. Sauté for about 5 minutes, until the onion and fennel begin to caramelize.
8. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds more.
9. Add the broth, bring to a boil, and cook for about 5 minutes, until the broth has evaporated.
10. Remove from the heat and stir in the vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste.
11. Slice the chicken and serve it over the veggies, sprinkled with basil and walnuts.