Gluten-Free Chicken Fingers
Kid-friendly and gluten-free, this recipe will please everyone.
Chicken fingers are a staple family dish that everyone is excited to eat. This gluten-free recipe is a healthy take on this comfort food and improves nutrition while remaining a family favorite. Serve with ketchup, or opt for homemade honey mustard to make it more interesting.
- 1 lb chicken tenderloins, or 2 boneless, skinless breasts
- 1 cup bread crumbs, gluten-free
- 1/4 tsp oregano, dried
- 1/4 tsp basil, dried
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup artisan gluten-free flour blend
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C). Place a wire rack on a baking pan and spray the rack with nonstick cooking spray or olive oil from a mister.
2. If you are using chicken tenderloins, remove the tendons: Place the tenderloin with the tendon-side down on a cutting board. Place the back of your knife (not the sharp blade side as that will cut the tendon) on top of the tendon and hold the tendon to the board with your finger. Use your knife to slide the chicken off the tendon with firm pressure, pushing away from your finger holding the tendon. If the tendon breaks that’s fine; you mostly want to remove the large, tough part that sticks out of the meat.
3. In a shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, oregano, basil, garlic powder,1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a second bowl, make an egg wash by whisking together the egg and water.* In a third bowl, mix the artisan gluten-free flour blend with a little salt and pepper.
4. Place the bowls in a row with the flour first, then the egg wash, and then the bread crumb mixture. Dip a piece of chicken in flour, shaking off any excess, then coat with egg wash. Finally, coat with bread crumbs and place on the prepared wire rack. (For the best results, use one hand for the flour and bread crumbs and the other hand for the egg.) Repeat to coat the remaining pieces of chicken.
5. Using an olive oil mister, coat the tops of each piece of chicken lightly with olive oil, just enough to moisten, but not saturate, the bread crumbs. Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through.
*If you don’t have an olive oil mister, adjust the breading procedure by following these egg-free instructions:Omit the flour and replace the egg wash with 3 tablespoons olive oil.Make sure you’re using egg-free bread crumbs.Dip each chicken tender in the olive oil, then coat with bread crumbs and transfer to the wire rack.
Recipe from Gluten-Free Family Favorites: The 75 Go-To Recipes You Need to Feed Kids and Adults All Day Every Day, copyright © Kelli and Peter Bronski, 2014. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold. theexperimentpublishing.com/