Paula Deen's The Lady’s Cheesy Mac
With 143 fewer calories than her original, Paula's famous mac-n-cheese recipe has been revamped to cut the fat in half.
Paula Deen's mac-n-cheese has been redone in order to cut the bad calories out. By using low-fat cream cheese instead of sour cream and removing butter from the recipe, she has managed to make a new and healthy dish that may just be better than the original.
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, whole-wheat or regular
- 2 tbsp low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, plus more for topping
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the macaroni according to the package directions. Drain well and return the pasta to the pot. Add the cream cheese and cheddar while the pasta is still warm. Stir until the cheeses have melted and the pasta is well coated.
3. Whisk together the eggs, milk, mustard, salt, and cayenne (if using) and stir through the pasta mixture. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish, top with extra cheddar, if you like, and bake for 30-40 minutes, until the cheese is melted and start to turn golden brown at the corners of the pan.