Vegetarian Refried Bean and Salsa Tacos
Spice up your weeknight dinners with this vegetarian taco recipe crafted by Lisa Oz.
These tacos are not only an Oz family favorite, they are also a great dinner if you're cooking for a crowd. This recipe is great for picky eaters or people with different palates because it is easily customizable and adjustable depending on the toppings you choose. Plus, if you want to add some extra protein to these, add leftover shredded chicken from Lisa Oz's Roasted Chicken Drumsticks With Herb-Garlic Rub recipe on top.
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced (optional)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 oz 15 oz cans vegetarian refried beans
- 1 romaine lettuce heart, coarsely chopped
- 2 ripe medium tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 6.75 oz jar pimiento-stuffed green olives, drained and chopped (1 cup)
- 12 crisp corn taco shells
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- chopped fresh cilantro, for serving
To make the filling:
1. Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and jalapeño, if using, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about four minutes.
2. Add the chili powder and cumin and stir well. Add 3/4 cup water and the tomato paste and stir to dissolve the paste.
3. Add the beans and mix well. Cook, stirring often, until the beans are hot and spreadable, about five minutes.
To make the salsa:
1. Mix the lettuce, tomatoes, sweet onion, and olives in a medium bowl.
1. Fill each taco shell about 1/3 of the way with the beans, cover with a thin layer of cheese so it will melt from the warmth of the beans, then top with a generous helping of the salsa. Serve with cilantro on the side.
Reprinted from THE OZ FAMILY KITCHEN Copyright © 2015 by Lisa Oz. Published by Harmony Books, a division of Penguin Random House LLC.