Candice Kumai's Day-Off Diet Hearty Lentil Soup
Try out this veggie-filled and protein-packed soup recipe to keep your metabolism boosted during the day.
Chef Candice Kumai shares her metabolism-boosting soup from her new book Clean Green Eats with Dr. Oz and viewers on the Day-Off Diet plan. The iron and protein-rich lentils along with sriracha sauce make sure that your metabolism stays humming throughout the day. Find out more about the Day-Off Diet and take the Day-Off Diet Assessment so you can find out which social support group is right for you.
Photo credit: Candice Kumai
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup lacinato kale or broccoli rabe stems, finely chopped
- 9 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 cups dry red lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2-4 tbsp raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups 1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced lacinato kale leaves or broccoli rabe leaves, to finish
- Sriracha sauce, to taste
1. In a medium stockpot, warm the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the diced onion and sauté until soft and fragrant, 8 to 10 minutes.
2. Reduce the heat to low, add the garlic, celery, and bay leaf and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in 1 cup finely chopped kale or broccoli rabe stems.
3. Add the broth to the pot and bring the soup to a light simmer. Stir in lentils and cook for another 10-12 minutes, or until lentils are soft.
4. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Stir in the salt, vinegar, and cook until kale is just slightly wilted. Serve with thinly sliced fresh kale or broccoli rabe leaves and sriracha on top.