Maria's Greek Yogurt
A guide to the best and most authentic Greek yogurt.
Acclaimed Greek chef Maria's authentic Greek yogurt recipe is the way to go for the best and healthiest Greek yogurt, without having to make a trip to Greece. Some sweetened yogurt in grocery stores can have as much sugar as two donuts. Avoid all that sugar and keep it plain with these two simple ingredients for a snack with zero additives, low sugar and high protein. Don't shy away from using whole milk — the fat content is an essential component and will also help you absorb the vitamins in the yogurt. With this rich and flavorful recipe, only a few spoonfuls are needed to leave you feeling satisfied and full.
- 1 liter milk
- 1 cup yogurt
1. Heat 1 liter of milk to 195 degrees Fahrenheit. Avoid using skim milk. If you don't have a thermometer, turn off the heat just as the milk begins to simmer.
2. Remove the pot from the heat and wait until the temperature drops to 110 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Add 1 cup of yogurt into the lukewarm milk and stir.
4. Cover the pot with a cloth to maintain the temperature and keep warm for at least 6 hours.
5. Refrigerate. Leave the yogurt for at least 12 hours in the refrigerator without moving it.
6. Strain the yogurt in cheesecloth and hang to drain for several hours, until the draining stops.