Dr. Joel Fuhrman's Almond Coconut Macaroons
Craving something sweet, but still want to be healthy? Try Dr. Joel Fuhrman's recipe for vegan macaroons.
Whip up these easy, vegan macaroons from Dr. Joel Fuhrman for a sweet, heart-healthy treat.
- 2 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 cup finely ground blanched almonds (see Note)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened soy, hemp, or almond milk
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 1/2 tbsp ground flaxseed simmered with 3 tablespoons water for 2 minutes
- 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 1/4 cup hot water
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. In a large bowl, combine shredded coconut, ground blanched almonds, nondairy milk, orange zest, and almond extract. Cut in flaxseed mixture.
3. Place dates and hot water in a food processor and process until mixture forms a ball. Add to bowl and mix well. The dough should be firm and slightly moist. If it is dry, add a little nondairy milk. Form round balls of dough and flatten into small patties.
4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake for 15 minutes. Makes about 36 macaroons.
Note: Use a food processor to grind almonds to a fine powder. You can substitute almond pulp from making homemade almond milk for the ground almonds and nondairy milk.
Recipe from The End of Heart Disease by Joel Fuhrman, MD. Copyright 2016.