Broccoli and Tofu Scramble
Swap your scrambled eggs for this eggless breakfast recipe.| By Mark Bittman
This recipe is just as easy as scrambled eggs and perfect for those who don't like eggs. Plus, the tofu takes on the flavors of the recipe — so if you're not a big tofu fan, you'll still love this dish.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red or yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 lb broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs firm tofu (1 1⁄2 blocks), drained
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes, or to taste
1. Put the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until it’s soft (three to five minutes).
2. Add the broccoli and 1⁄4 cup water and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the broccoli is brightly colored but still crisp and the pan is dry (three to five minutes).
3. Crumble the tofu into the pan and stir, using a spatula to scrape the bottom of the pan and combine the tofu and vegetables; adjust the heat as necessary to avoid burning. When the mixture starts to stick to the pan, add the spices, taste and adjust the seasoning, and serve hot or warm.