Skip the stale bread in this stuffing recipe.
Get more nutrients and slash calories from your typical stuffing recipe simply by using chickpeas instead of old bread. Just swap 4 cans of chickpeas for every pound of bread in your recipe.
- 4 cans chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 shallot, cut into small dice
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1/2 cup cup vegetable or mushroom broth
1. Drain and rinse chickpeas. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Cook bacon in oven until crispy. Drain the bacon on a paper towel, and reserve bacon grease. Once bacon is cool to touch, crumble it into small pieces.
3. Heat sautée pan to medium-high heat. Then, heat 2 tablespoons of bacon grease. Cook shallots in grease until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add celery and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Add poultry seasoning and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from heat, and transfer to a plate to cool.
4. Grease a 9-inch square casserole dish with bacon grease.
5. Add bacon and vegetables to chickpeas, and stir. Stir in eggs. Stir in enough vegetable broth to make mixture moist but moldable.
6. Transfer to casserole dish, and bake at 375°F for 1 hour, or until casserole sets and top appears golden and crispy. Serve and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Popsugar's Cornbread and Bacon Dressing.