Rocco DiSpirito's Kale, Red Onion, and Tomato Frittata
Start your morning off right with this brunch recipe.
Making a frittata is easier and faster than making an omelet. If you're in need of a brunch recipe, whip up this high-protein meal that will keep your whole family full and energized.
Recipe from: The Negative Calorie Diet by Rocco DiSpirito.
- 8 cups washed kale, tough ribs removed (chopped into 1-inch pieces)
- 2 tbsp water
- 12 large egg whites, or 1 pint of liquid egg whites
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp chopped fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Place the kale in a microwave-safe dish with two tablespoons of water, cover with parchment paper, and cook on high until tender, three to five minutes. Drain excess water and reserve.
3. Whisk the egg whites in a mixing bowl and set aside. Pour the olive oil into a large nonstick skillet, place over medium-high heat, add fennel seeds and garlic and cook until the garlic is golden brown, about one minute. Add the red pepper flakes and onion.
4. Reduce the heat to medium and cook the onion until soft, three to four minutes. Add the tomatoes and kale, season, and cook until the mixture is hot. Add the egg whites and mix well. Once the egg whites are almost set, transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the eggs are cooked through, about two minutes. Remove the skillet and serve immediately.